Another two or three years - and press-selling stalls cannot remain
Sales of newspapers and magazines in retail outlets decreased for 11 percent, and, therefore, total print publications were reduced as well. A decline in the number of kiosks where you can buy this production is observed.
The negative dynamics last year alone, was about 3%. And about 30% of these small shops in Moscow (more than 800 of 2800) are currently not working. Union of Journalists of Moscow highlighted these and many other issues of in its round table "Dialogue with the government. Actual problems of the media industry". The event was attended by representatives of some of the relevant departments of the capital.
- The Homeland is in danger. Press kiosks in Moscow are turned down. 30 percent of all are boarded up. Moreover, there are still offers to close press kiosks because keeping them is not lucrative. Plus the salary of the kiosk workers is very low. Three large Moscow press distribution companies went bankrupt. And the trend continues. Another two or three years - and Moscow may not have kiosks at all - the problem was voiced by the chairman of the Association of Press Distributors Alexander Oskin. - As a result, economic mechanisms eliminating the distribution channels of printed materials are effective. That is, there are no restrictions of freedom of speech, but there are limitations and the destruction of its channels.
On the other hand, he said, Moscow has always been an "oasis" where the print outlets have not been touched by the policy of the department of mass media. While all over Russia, they were destroyed by 10 pieces a day.
- They still are, but rental prices are rising, demand is falling, there is no subsidy, loan rates are huge. And if Moscow authorities will not support the kiosks, they will die. This is a blow to freedom of expression, to the information environment of the capital. Today, it is important not only to maintain, but to provide an economic aid. Therefore, there are two options - expand the range of products in kiosks or the points of sale should get subsidies, as it is done, for example, in France.
In connection with this several measures are proposed to support the metropolitan media space. Among others - the introduction of a reduced rate on the lease of land for the enterprises of the sector where the money charged will not be as devastating as it is now, and will be equal to 10-12 rubles per square meter. In addition, it is proposed to increase the deadlines of land lease up to 10 years. According to the organizers, the reduction of tariffs for electricity and telecommunications services are also important.
- The main problem is also to remove the restrictions on the allowed list of related products and expand their range in the stands. There should be sold not only printed materials, but also food, tickets to different events, passage tickets, - said General Director of ANO "AG" Moscow News" Timur Rudnikov.
Due to a wide range of services the profit of outlets will increase. It is necessary to clarify, that the press product is a commodity of "pulse" demand, that is, if the consumer buying, for example, food noticed a newspaper or magazine on a nearby counter and acquire them. Andwiththeincreaseinwageswillriseandtheoveralleconomicstabilityofthepress.
Distributors say also, that there is a need to consider allocating direct subsidies to the city's kiosks, soft loans or trust to pay interest rates. And the question of earning extra money through advertising was raised also. All these proposals were sent to the Department of Mass Media in Moscow.
However, some of the answers have been received on the spot. At the round table, as one of the main guests of the capital made by the Head of the Department of Media and Advertising Vladimir Chernikov. He agreed that it is necessary to look for opportunities to expand the range of kiosks. But the problem is that after the resolution of increasing the range of sold products dealers may appear who will only simulate commercial press and sell everything under its brand name. In this case, no increase in circulation or growth will not be bought.
- It is necessary to find a compromise to extend the range of items. You can’t trade to all. There will be a chaos. So you need to work out a detailed range of items. Problem can be solved, - said Chernikov.
- Merging advertising design can be used. But it is worth considering that they should be no more than 2 meters tall and always illuminated from within - explains Chernikov. - In what order to do: wishing to apply to the department, we will receive, consider and approve. This is really a serious source of additional income.
- We will treat it carefully. There is an assignment of the mayor to study the issue and, more specifically, that, most likely, will discuss the possibility of compensation expenses for rent until the end of the year. This work will be carried out manually. Until the end of June we’ll work out the issue - he said.
As for next year, it is either the minimum rate of 3.5 thousand rubles, or about the rate that was in 2011. This issue is not resolved yet.
© PDA 2005 — 2017
Press Distributors Association